Research Director at the Institute for Polymers, Composites and Biomaterials, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (IPCB-CNR), Via Campi Flegrei, 34 – 80078 Pozzuoli (Na), Italy, President Atia-ISWA (www.atiaiswa.it)
Born in Palma Campania on 20 July 1955, lives in Naples.
- In 1979 graduated cum laude in Industrial Chemistry at the University of Naples "Federico II".
- From 1979 to 1981 Research Assistant at the University of Liverpool, Department of Chemistry.
- From 1983 to date Researcher at the IPCB-CNR, Via Campi Flegrei, 34 - 80078Pozzuoli (Na) Italy.
- Since 2001 Research Director at the IPCB-CNR, Head of the Laboratory of Synthesis and Chemical Modification of polymers.
- From 2010 to 2018 Italian Representative at IUPAC and still now associated with the IUPAC Polymer Division.
- Since 2011 Head of the Technical-Scientific Committee of Assobioplastiche.
- Since 2013 President of the Technical-Scientific Committee of the China Italy Business Innovation Center (CIBIC), with headquarters in Naples.
- From 2012 to 2016 Member of the Board of Directors of UNIPLAST, now Member of the UNIPLAST Technical Committee.
- In December 2017 elected President of ATIA-ISWA, Italian Branch of the International Solid Waste Association.
- In 2018 admitted as Corresponding Member in the National Society of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences.
- In 2019 nominated by the President of CNR as the Italian Representative at the International Science Council.
Coordinator of various European projects on issues related to environment, agriculture, recycling and sustainable development, he was also Technical and Scientific Consultant for CRAFT Projects of the European Community, DGXII for 3 years.
He received various international awards including the Distinguished Chemistry Award for Novel Materials and Their Synthesis of IUPAC and was a finalist in 2004 of the St. Andrews Prize for the Environment and winner of one of the awards.
Regularly invited to International Conferences and Schools, invited Lecturer on Polymer Materials at the University of Andes, Bogota, Colombia, he is the author of about 190 articles in international journals, books and chapters of texts on the Science and Technology of Polymeric Materials, as well as holders of 20 Italian and international patents.
His research is devoted to the synthesis of new polymers, the chemical modification of natural and synthetic polymers, the recycling of plastics, the development of biodegradable and compostable plastics for packaging and agriculture.