Emilio F. Campana is the Head of the Engineering, ICT, Energy and Transport Department of the National Research Council (CNR) of Italy, which includes 20 research institutes and about 1000 researchers, covering the areas of Civil and Industrial Engineering, Computer Science and Informatics, Systems and Communication Engineering, and Applied Mathematics.
EFC has been researcher at the IBM European Center for Scientific and Engineering Computing (IBM-ECSEC), and successively joined the National Towing Tank (INSEAN), being the INSEAN Director between 2010 and 2017. During his research activity he has been Principal Investigator of EDA (European Defense Agency) and ONR projects.
EFC is the scientific coordinator of the National Technology Cluster of the Blue Growth, a national alliance promoted by the government among more than 90 partners, from industry, academia and regions, and is the Italian national representative :
- in the JPI Healthy and Productive Seas and Oceans, the European platform for the harmonization of marine and maritime national research programs;
- in the NATO Science and Technology Board, the highest scientific board of the NATO;
He is the recipient of the:
- American Bureau of Shipping award (2009) for the best paper presented at the SNAME (Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers), annual meeting;
- Scientific Achievement Award (2012) assigned by NATO – RTO (Research and Technology Organization);
- George Weinblum Memorial Lecturer (2013-2014) assigned by the German Institut für Schiffbau of the University of Hamburg and by the Naval Studies Board of the US National Research Council.